Part-Time Healthcare Attorney
(2+ years regulatory/corporate law experience)
TWO WAYS TO APPLY:
- Email Erin Jackson, Managing Partner, at HR@JacksonLLP.com:
- Describe your interest in the firm and position in the email body,
- Attach your resume, and
- Attach your law school transcript (for those who graduated in 2015 or later).
- Apply online!
- Materials should be addressed to Erin Jackson, Managing Partner, and must include:
- Law school transcript (for those who graduated in 2015 or later)
- Cover letter detailing healthcare experience
About the job:
This position has multiple schedule options but generally requires at least 25 hours/week.
Jackson LLP is a boutique healthcare firm with a client-centered ethos and friendly work environment. The firm’s work is 99% regulatory or transactional, and we do very little litigation. We seek a full-time attorney for our Evanston office. The attorney must be barred in a state in which the firm operates and have at least 2 years of non-litigation corporate or regulatory law experience. Healthcare experience is strongly preferred.
The ideal candidate is attracted to Jackson LLP’s entrepreneurial culture and has a deep commitment to excellence in their work. They understand and appreciate the role of healthcare in societal and community health, including a recognition of healthcare as a human right, a thriving employer of millions, and a burgeoning area of law. Their interest in law is genuine, curious, and enthusiastic. They must understand the framework of the CFRs and the regulatory scheme that underscores much of the work of a regulatory healthcare attorney. Crucially, they must have an exceptional attention to detail.
Jackson LLP’s office has been remodeled specifically to offer exceptional COVID safety measures.
The attorney will be expected to work regular business hours but will not have a billable hour requirement. The firm offers a generous benefits package, including paid time off and bonuses.
- Provide legal support to clients including medical professionals, small- to mid-sized healthcare practices, and mHealth companies on licensure, scope of practice, regulatory compliance, and day-to-day business issues
- Review employment contracts and negotiate contract terms on behalf of individual healthcare professionals, or represent established practice in contract negotiation with potential new employee
- Draft employment contracts, independent contractor agreements, physician collaborative agreements, and other such documents in compliance with all applicable healthcare laws
- Prepare clients’ HIPAA policies and procedures and advise clients on topics relating to HIPAA compliance
- Advise clients both orally and in writing as to questions regarding the Anti-Kickback Statute, False Claims Act, Stark Law, EKRA, CMP, and related or state equivalent laws
- Conduct consultation calls with potential clients wherein you will introduce them to the firm, assess their needs, and discuss next steps
- Provide supportive, non-competitive, encouraging, and positive guidance and supervision to junior attorneys, law clerks, and administrative staff at the firm
- Supervise and guide Jackson LLP’s junior attorneys and law clerks, including: assign projects, review projects prior to delivery to the client, critically analyze research findings and suggest next steps, and support their professional growth
- Actively engage in continuing education about healthcare topics, including reading healthcare legal news, staying apprised of current events, and monitoring courts for health-related decisions impacting the firm’s clients
ABOUT THE ATTORNEY ROLE:
- Office working hours are approximately 8:00/8:30 until 5:30/6:00 each day. Part-time schedules will be modified accordingly (e.g., 3 days per week, or 5 days per week during “school hours”).
- Salary depends heavily upon experience and qualifications, starting at $85,000 + benefits for a full-time attorney with 2 years of experience. Part-time salary will be adjusted and pro-rated based upon work hours.
- Generous benefits package including health insurance, PTO, paid holidays, disability insurance for those working >30 hours/week.
- Work must be in-person at our Evanston office.
- Perfect for someone seeking to enjoy practicing law, working directly with clients, and maintaining a life outside of work.
- Actively barred in any state where the firm operates, with 2+ years experience as a barred attorney
- Experienced in the preparation and negotiation of contracts
- Experienced in regulatory and transactional work (not litigation)
- Knowledge of health law, including federal and state laws, hospital and health care regulations, and knowledge of legal aspects of contract agreement negotiations, practices, and structures
- Extremely detail-oriented and able to deliver error-free work to clients on tight deadlines
- Able to effectively communicate challenging topics in a clear manner to both clients and those over whom you have supervisory responsibility at the firm
- Friendly. Jackson LLP is a supportive firm that is committed to being a pleasant, mutually supportive, and warm work environment. Competitiveness is not fostered or tolerated.
- Skilled at supervising and managing a diverse team of professionals who require highly variable levels of oversight
- Geographic Requirement: The successful candidate resides within a 20-minute commute of the Evanston office and owns a car or lives within walking distance of the Evanston office with or without a car
- Must be conscientious about and vaccinated against COVID-19
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy Statement
Jackson LLP Healthcare Lawyers is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind.
Jackson LLP is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Jackson LLP Healthcare Lawyers are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Our firm will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. We encourage applicants of all ages.