Of Counsel Patent Attorney
Materials should be addressed to Erin Jackson, Managing Partner, and must include::
- Cover letter detailing congruence of your experience with the firm’s work.
About the job:
Jackson LLP is a boutique healthcare firm with a client-centered ethos and friendly work environment. The firm’s work is 99% regulatory or transactional, and we do very little litigation. We seek an of counsel attorney, who would ideally work in our Evanston office. The attorney must be registered to practice before the USPTO. Healthcare or biomedical experience is preferred.
The ideal candidate is attracted to Jackson LLP’s entrepreneurial culture and has a deep commitment to excellence in their work. They understand and appreciate the role of healthcare in societal and community health, including a recognition of healthcare as a human right, a thriving employer of millions, and a burgeoning area of law. Their interest in law is genuine, curious, and enthusiastic. Crucially, they must have an exceptional attention to detail.
Jackson LLP’s office has been remodeled specifically to offer exceptional COVID safety measures.
- An undergraduate degree or an advanced degree in the fields of life sciences or biology (strongly preferred)
- Experience in patent prosecution, strategic management of patent portfolios, freedom-to-operate opinions, due diligence analysis, and landscape analysis. (3+ years experience strongly preferred)
- Admitted as a member of the Patent Bar and any State Bar (or pending admission with confirmation of passing score on July 2021 bar exam)
- Extremely detail-oriented and able to deliver error-free work to clients on tight deadlines.
- Able to effectively communicate challenging topics in a clear manner to both clients and those over whom you have supervisory responsibility at the firm
- Friendly! Jackson LLP is a supportive firm that is committed to being a pleasant, mutually supportive, and warm work environment. Competitiveness is not fostered or tolerated.
- Skilled at collaborating with a diverse team of professionals
- We prefer that the attorney work from our Evanston, Illinois office. To facilitate this, we will provide office space, equipment, and administrative support. An attorney able to work (even part-time) from our primary office will be exposed to more client matters, be better able to mentor the firm’s junior attorneys, and have a greater opportunity to grow their practice. If this is not feasible, this will not disqualify you.
- Must be conscientious about and vaccinated against COVID-19
ROLE AT JACKSON LLP:
- Develop firm’s patent preparation and prosecution processes and practice group
- Work collaboratively with firm’s attorneys who are serving non-patent needs of clients
- Prepare and prosecute patent applications
- Prepare patentability and clearance opinions, risk assessment analyses, due diligence, and handle PTAB cases.
- Advise clients about the prosecution of foreign patents
- This will ideally become a salaried, permanent attorney position at the firm, and as the practice group expands, the attorney would receive the support of additional attorney(s) or administrative staff.
- The firm will pay a base salary to compensate the attorney for work like: developing firm processes, educating associate attorneys about patent preparation and prosecution, and participating in collaborative calls with clients who have diverse needs and are being served by multiple attorneys.
- The bulk of the attorney’s compensation will come from performing patent work. The attorney’s billable hourly rate will be in the range of $400-$600, and the attorney will retain 80% of collected billables.
- The firm will work to ensure the attorney is benefits-eligible, should they wish to be. The firm also recognizes that some candidates may prefer a part-time of counsel role, which is also available.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy Statement
Jackson LLP Healthcare Lawyers is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind.
Jackson LLP is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Jackson LLP Healthcare Lawyers are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Our firm will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. We encourage applicants of all ages.