Running an ambulatory surgery center is complicated. We make sure your legal and regulatory compliance isn’t.
Jackson LLP’s healthcare attorneys are well-versed in the regulatory and legal landscape impacting ambulatory surgery centers (ASCs) and their physician owners or managers. Through its general counsel program, Jackson LLP offers ASCs that don’t need a full-time lawyer at the practice the same opportunity to enjoy the benefits of maintaining an in-house legal department. Our attorneys can help ASCs with a variety of legal and regulatory compliance issues, including:
- Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute, and ASC safe harbor compliance
- ASC entity formation, stock agreements, joint ventures among healthcare providers, acquisition, and dissolution
- Corporate compliance planning, corporate governance, and OIG audit risk analysis
- General counsel services, litigation management, and audit management
- HIPAA compliance, including comprehensive privacy policies and procedures, risk assessments, and breach notification guidance
- Transfer agreements and associated compliance
- Medicare Conditions for Coverage and Conditions of Participation compliance
- General healthcare legal and regulatory issues including informed consent, registration packets, charity care programs, biometric data collection standards, contracts, and real estate matters
Jackson LLP’s Chicago healthcare attorneys can help ASC physician-owners sell their practices without running afoul of anti-kickback prohibitions that may arise should those same physicians later refer patients to the ASC. Our firm’s healthcare focus allows us to carefully and thoroughly scrutinize the complex regulatory and legal scheme imposed upon ASCs as we guide them through this process. Similar concerns arise when physicians seek to sell their ownership interests in ASCs, have their membership terminated pursuant to the ASC’s corporate governance documents, transfer their billing privileges, or purchase another physician’s ownership.
To navigate many of these issues, our lawyers suggest implementing comprehensive compliance plans addressing the requirements that might be the subject of an OIG, HHS, or Medicare audit. An ambulatory surgery center’s corporate compliance planning might also include discussions about Stark law and Anti-Kickback Statute compliance, and HIPAA and Illinois state medical privacy requirements.
Our attorneys would welcome the opportunity to discuss your ASC’s legal needs. Please call our office or schedule your consultation online using the button below.